Friday, April 9, 2010

One Fine McPie

So today I began my new job as Upper Management in a corporate job/career.   How the what the huh? you might be thinking....well don't fret, I am thinking the same thing but let me tell you it is all fine, not great, not bad, it's fine........and yes this could change as I have only been there one day.  What's great about it really is everything from the hours to the nice people to the offices to the location to my ability to do the work and matter to the company.  What's not great about it is just that really who cares...it's not really going to change anyone's life.  So this middles out at fine and I am totally fine with that right now.  I can leave my work at work, that is what kind of job this is, I will not get emotionally invested and risk heartbreak at this job and that is wonderful for me right now and maybe forever (lets not pretend I haven't fantasized about taking over....this is me we are talking about)

One of the things about working in a corporate office I realized is that I need to dress like I work at a corporate office (currently I wear what is comfortable and I can bounce in should I be overcome with the urge to bounce).  This means no more leggings and empire-wasted sundresses, no more uggs and flats and no more "I love my out of control awkward I-just-woke-up after not showering for three days curly hair" (I cut all my hair off a month ago and when neglected, issnasocute).  Now people who know me know that I do not shop....well for myself....I hate it.  I take after my Mother this way (just to interject, my mother is stunning wearing thirty-year-old sweats, she can get away with this better than most people).  I wear hand-me-downs or the latest fashions from Tarjais or (my favorite) the fabulous pieces my Step-Mom gets me (I do believe we have an unspoken mission to teach me how to dress my age.....actually, it isn't remotely unspoken....I'd look like a Hobo half the time if it weren't for her).   Now my stylist (Step-Mommy) wasn't in town and I needed clothes for my new job so together we looked at pictures on the internet of the kind of dresses I should be looking for, I received my instructions and was sent out into the big mean world of shopping for women who have thighs and asses (one ass per woman to be clear......well I have heard you can have two butts if you absorb your twin in utero.............why is that weird?).

By myself, shaking out of my flip-flops, I headed into Nordstrom Rack where I figured I'd get so much more bang for my buck.  Thirty minutes later, my left arm muscles throbbing from carrying 14 dresses all by itself, I walked out of the dressing room, handing every single not-good dress (all 14) to the fitting room attendant, walked straight to my car empty-handed, drove directly home (didn't pass go) and passed out for two hours from overwhelming exhaustion.....I had specific instructions, had been advised professionally (If my Step-Mom isn't considered a professional shopper, there ain't no such thing), and still completely failed my mission.  When I woke up, the dream I had about showing up at my new job in a flowy floral tank dress and slippers put a fire under my ass and I was at Macy's faster than Plus-Size-Model and Hot Body ate the three-day-old hard-boiled Easter eggs I gave them after I had forgotten to feed them for 36 hours (oops).  Macy's proved to be a success, well Vicki the sales lady was the success AND she let me use the same coupon the customer ahead of me in line had used......double score!!!  I purchased a beautiful gray Calvin Klein dress (now lets see if I don't get too scared to ruin it....I mean wear it) :-)   

P.S.  I need to give my Mother some credit here for my awesome skills, she did always teach me the importance of staples in the wardrobe......like a great black dress.....I have TWO!  Thank you Mama and Step-Mama!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment