Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Mother McPie

I am told that I, McPie, was speaking full sentences (run-on I am sure) and tying my shoes at nine months old. And it was then, at nine months old, that everyone started saying that one day I would rule the world. Hello all you parents out there, that is a hell of a lot of pressure to put on a kid. I was born and bread to be in charge, I was born to be a mother. So as I sit here staring at my all-over-the-place resume and I read down the list of all these professions where I was in charge, I wonder....what am I supposed to do before It's my turn to be a mother?

The thing is, it IS about being a mother for me......(current best friends and various ex-boyfriends can attest to this). The one thing I have ALWAYS wanted to be is a mother. So even when I was saying "when I grow up, I want to be a photographer" (I thought that meant secretary when I was little, and no, it wasn't the other way around) the kind of "photographer" I wanted to be was the kind that had lots of papers to move around on a desk, and I would move those papers around before and after picking my kids up from school, bathing them, and cooking them dinner. And to clarify where I got the impression that this is what a "photographer" did, I have a vivid memory of my mother moving papers around on a desk, probably bills, I should also mention that at the time, my mother was a professional photographer (the kind that actually takes photos)...and thus my toddler confusion. Having children was what I dreamed about while producing films and while marketing a day school. It's what I think about now when I try and get some client to purchase more cakes than last time, would I feed my own children these cakes? (in this case, the answer happens to be yes, I am morally opposed to hocking a product I don't fully believe in. I have been told I stand too firmly on my moral high ground.....many stories to back this up).

Knowing what I have always wanted to do with my life doesn't help in figuring out what to do right now. And please know, I haven't ever left a job that wasn't leaving me so to speak...I don't seek the ranks of career dissatisfaction hastily (did I mention I am obscenely wordy?).

At this very instant I have an unbearable urge to go do something for Mr. McPie while he isn't looking.....like unload the dishwasher. :-) hasta

No comments:

Post a Comment